Two volunteer firefighters in Union County had to be treated for smoke inhalation and dehydration after battling a brush fire in the Luttrell area.
The fire occurred on Hensley Hollow Road and authorities say it started after a man burning brush in his yard reported embers had been carried by the wind into the woods behind his house.
Crews from the Luttrell, Maynardville and Paulette volunteer fire departments responded to the scene and were able to get the fire contained after several hours. During that effort, two Paulette firefighters suffered from smoke inhalation and dehydration, were taken to an area hospital and released after receiving treatment. They are said to be doing “well.”
The fire scorched about 52 acres of woods but no structures were damaged by the flames.